Egoboo Forum

The Legend of Egoboo Sporks of Yore
The Official Egoboo homepage
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egoboo Forum Forum Index -> -> Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zefz
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: The Official Egoboo homepage If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I was thinking of buying www.egoboogame.com and setting up the Egoboo site there. Getting a 1 gb with limitless brandwith, registering, etc. etc. will cost about 52 USD. I will try to link the oldest official site and the current one I use to the new site. Maybe I could even open a PayPal donation account for supporting the site (Maybe even giving a small reward bonus, such as special classes/modules for donators). Anyways back to the real point this would give Egoboo a proper domain and make it appear more easy in google search (Thus increasing amount of visitors).

Maybe in the future the site could do some sort of revamp. Updating the site would go much faster than using sourceforge. If needed we could use the site for downloads, SVN and such, keeping all "official" Egoboo stuff in one place.

Waddya folks think?

"The pen is mightier than the sword- IF it is sharpened, dipped in poison and thrown really really hard at your target. But seriously, you are better off with a sword."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Clonkinator
Master Frying Pen (Moderator)
Master Frying Pen (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I don't really get what this means for us... Confused Question
bgbirdsey
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Is the 1GB limit, unlimited bw, real appeal? I guess you could host some videos, audio, and better graphics. Someone could also make some kind of flash site or something?

Other than that, the only other benefit would be that we could host a server list when/if the internet play goes live.
hiroy
The Dark One
The Dark One

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

The Good
(if so)
-More visitors
-More support
-Longer lasting site

The Bad (is so)
-Lack of support (activity, donations and whatnot)

So my response is "I don't know". Whatever happens, I'll ride along.
Agent of Dread
lolwut?? (Moderator)
lolwut?? (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I like it! Go ahead!
Sven
Cobol
Cobol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

why .com ?If I remember correctly .com comes from commercial.
Agent of Dread
lolwut?? (Moderator)
lolwut?? (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yes, but still. All sites that most languages view are .com and some of them aren't commercial.
Zefz
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Mainly I planned to use this new place as a replacement for http://home.no.net/egoboo and really make this the brand new site for Egoboo (All egoboo related news -> go to here!). As bgbirdsey says, this also opens possibilities to create a more fancy looking site (flash for example). The space on the site is limited to 1 gb, unless I pay more (Around 2 USD per 1 gb).

@sven:
.com is the most used one. Most people from most countries recognize .com as the most common one for internet pages.

.com is also free to register (but not to buy). Other alternatives are .net or .org

On this site the latest news, devpack, egoboo version, links to the forum, etc. etc. would be placed.

Come to think of it, I should have more or less access to the Sourceforge Egoboo website too. But I've always found Sourceforge messy to work around with and havent figured out that Shell extension thingy for FTP website access.

"The pen is mightier than the sword- IF it is sharpened, dipped in poison and thrown really really hard at your target. But seriously, you are better off with a sword."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bgbirdsey
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

you can redirect the sourceforge website wherever you want.
Zefz
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I was thinking of the webspace/website the Egoboo Project currently uses on sourceforge ( http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/ ). Replacing or renewing it is what I am talking about.

freegamer
Lumpkin
Lumpkin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

1. get egoboogame.org (not .com)
2. you can use tuxfamily.org for free hosting for egoboo web stuff
bgbirdsey
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yeah. I was just agreeing with you that it might be easier to host the website elsewhere and use sourceforge's option to set the homepage to your new site. That's what I did for SoulFu, the "homepage" is the SoulFu forum.
Maxaxle
Elite Gamer
Elite Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Rewards for donating? No. Instead, how about selling copies of Egoboo on CD? Or some other Egoboo merchandise? Like posters???
FREE PIZZA TOMORROW

This forum is dead and I have moved on to another forum with everyone else.
hiroy
The Dark One
The Dark One

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Selling an incomplete game = Bad idea.
denis3
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Selling Egoboo isn't really a good idea because people can get it for free anyways and can redistribute it without anyone preventing them from doing it, according to the GPL license.

I think donations are cool, I even made a website trying to make a new Egoboo "official" site here: http://egoboo.taxiwin.com/ with a PayPal link included, as Zefz mentioned.

Oh, and the idea of a Flash site sounds excellent, I am very good at making flash sites, just give me a list of what you need done and you'll have it ready, but it will have lots of controversies, because not everyone has a flash player and it loads slow for all the dial-up users.

http://www.taxiwin.com/ - This is my demonstration, but the problem is that I don't have much ideas for a good website, this is what my father told me to do and we worked together to establish the website.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egoboo Forum Forum Index -> -> Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: