Egoboo Forum

The Legend of Egoboo Sporks of Yore
The Good Times are Over
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egoboo Forum Forum Index -> -> Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleSquerkle
Supreme Cookiemancer
Supreme Cookiemancer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: The Good Times are Over If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

"...I think I swallowed your computer!"
"You what?!"
"Oh. I mean a bug. A small bug. I swallowed a small bug."

...Erm. Yeah. Anyway.
Actually, one could argue the good times have just begun! But share your stories about the olden days of Egoboo! How did you get started playing the game? Any other interesting stories to tell?

Anyway, it was actually my older brother who got me started with the game, about two (or maybe three) years ago (so, yes, I know, I've been around for a comparatively short time). This is pretty interesting, since I don't think he's actually played it -- or hardly at all.
He was talking about open source games for Linux, and he mentioned Egoboo.
I was all, "What?! An action-RPG that is somehow also very similar to Nethack? I must play this game!"
And then I found out it was for Windows, too. So I downloaded it. I got it off of the main site, which at that time was really outdated. I noticed it hadn't been updated in months. So (and I don't remember if I actually played the game first, but I'm pretty sure I at least downloaded it) I looked around to see if the site had moved or something, or if it was really just dead. That's when I found the Zippy project! I downloaded the game, and played it. I saw that it was really cool, but needed a lot of work. Then I realized that I could actually contribute to this work. At some point, I signed up for the forums at Zippy. Unfortunately, though, I caught this at the end of things, and it was dying out. Nobody would confirm my account. So I floated around for a while, and read a lot of stuff about modding and suchlike.
Then I found out about the resurrection project (yayz!). Finally, somewhere where people were actually active and discussing the game! And working on it, too!
At first I did very lame things. I tried modifying the claw model to be covered in blades, going 360 degrees around it, but I thought something was wrong with my model editor because it crashed things (at the time, I knew nothing about slots, and this was probably the real reason the game crashed). I got a bit discouraged at that point, and realized that, yes, this was going to be actual work.
But soon I started up again, this time with simpler things. I made an adventurer with purple clothing (because I am slightly obsessed with the color for some reason), and gave him a gigantic sword. I also did a G'nome, which at the time had been my favorite class. He kind of looked like he'd exploded some kind of laboratory experiment over his head (weird blue streaks in his hair) and had snazzy green goggles, too. I then gave him a "Tesla Gonne", which was basically a slightly tweaked lightning wand with the skin and model of a gonne. This stuff was pretty lame, but I was proud of it at the time. I uploaded it, and some of you have seen it. If not, both characters ("Squerk" and "Blerff" respectively) are apparently in the Zombi starter. I kept working, and eventually sort of lost interest. I think I can blame two things for this: James Paige and his Ultimate Website of Time-Wasting Doom (a big part of it was the RPG engine there), and Game Maker (a quality program I still use today to make my games; it's not nearly as silly and lame as you may immediately think).
Also, I should mention that around this time, the project seemed to be dying again.
I chose a good time to come back (about 6-12 months later), though, because it seems like just as I joined, everything started to really get moving quickly! And now we're in an awesome period of time that I shall now dub Egoboo's Golden Age. Let's keep it going for a long time!

+ PurpleSquerkle

--My website--
Latest update= 7/15/08; Three new midi loops.

{new Squerkle coming as soon as I stop being lazy}
woodmouse
Skinner
Skinner

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I started playing it when I checked what games would I want to download, and I noticed Egoboo. There were screenshots (and one of them was from a mysterious level that's not around anymore? Or was it just some... picture? It was like Catacombs or something, the floor. Purple floor, Shadow Palace walls. I have used that thing from my mind and used those kinda walls and floors in Secret Catacombs. Does anyone know what module it was?) and I were like: THIS! I WANT THIS!... And we downloaded it... First, I tested Healer starter the first, and were like: GREAT!!! And completed it without having any damage... I remember when my big brother was like: Shocked Without... damage!? But it was only the first time...
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Heh.. I remember. The year was 2000, I was pushing my modem to the limit to get a 32mb (! Shocked !) game downloaded. Games downloaded on the Internet! Where will technology end?!

Anyways I downloaded this game named Egoboo with a friend of mine and started playing around with it. At new year's eve actually.

It was not before a time later I found out about a community. I decided I wanted to contribute something, so I made the Game Manual. I planned to finish that up and leave Egoboo to the real developers Razz

I've always been a map maker, so when I got my hands on EgoMap, I started doing stuff. Suddenly I was invited to the Dev Team and so I was entangled into the game development.

My first work was Cyclops cave. I never got that finished. My first real finished work was the Soldier Starter (A different one than the one in the game now, I remade it sometime later). So one thing lead to another.

When Zippy died, I somehow made a new forum and used my site as the new "offical" one. When I started coding in the source code, stuff really became serious. Wink

"The pen is mightier than the sword- IF it is sharpened, dipped in poison and thrown really really hard at your target. But seriously, you are better off with a sword."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Chainsaw
Lumberjack
Lumberjack

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Around the age of 10, My friend gave me a CD of Egoboo,
he bought it from some computer game shop that's now out of business (Gee, I wonder why Evil or Very Mad).
I started playing it with my friends, and I really liked the hotseat and the cartoony graphics.
I then stopped playing it, then started again 6 months later, and so on and so forth.
During the time I did play Egoboo, I was making silly objects (Like smoke - generating potions Razz), and crappy skins.
I also looked around the Zippy forums occasionally for stuff to download and play with.
I kind of got back to it some 10 months ago, and when I found out there was a new Forum, I though I'd register this time.
That pretty much settles it.
woodmouse
Skinner
Skinner

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Does anyone know what module I meant? Catacomb floor, Shadow Palace walls. Big room. Paladin as character and there were some Frights and Ghouls... And some strange black things in the floor.
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Paladin starter? Or the Shadow palace maybe?

"The pen is mightier than the sword- IF it is sharpened, dipped in poison and thrown really really hard at your target. But seriously, you are better off with a sword."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
woodmouse
Skinner
Skinner

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

No, it was strange... It was like Catacombs, but there were Shadow palace walls... And some strange black things like bodies on the floor... Confused I and my brother got so angry when we didn't get what was it... Still, it makes me angry when I remember it...
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

These monsters?

woodmouse
Skinner
Skinner

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Probably.
Supreme Cookiemancer
Supreme Cookiemancer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

You should try to find that screenshot.
And, wow, everyone's been around for a lot longer than me. Shocked

+ PurpleSquerkle

--My website--

woodmouse
Skinner
Skinner

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Nooooo! The whole site is not anymore! It was a red site, I remember that. There was that mystical screenshot at the times of 1.something...
Elite Gamer
Elite Gamer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Gosh, was it 2005? Or 2006? I don't remember, but I was filling my computer with games that I bored of very quickly in the search of GOOD freeware games. I found Egoboo while looking for a decent RPG, and it was the age-old site with 1.0 and 2.22 on it. I downloaded 2.22, and it was ADDICTING! I just LOVED it! Very Happy Whee Whee Whee ...But there was only a few levels Crying or Very sad . And I didn't know how to make anything. I eventually figured out how to cheat myself stuff Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil , and, at one point or another, found this site. And that's where I joined this fourm. Zefz, remember when I couldn't register? Oh, man, that feels like forever ago.
FREE PIZZA TOMORROW

This forum is dead and I have moved on to another forum with everyone else.
bgbirdsey
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

My younger brother was very interested in game programming/ game design. I was looking for a game project that we could use as a "starter project" that we could mod to test out his ideas. I did some searching and found Egoboo, back when zippy was stll being developed. I thought the design was very interesting.
PurpleSquerkle
Supreme Cookiemancer
Supreme Cookiemancer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Where is he now?!
Why isn't he here?!
Very Happy

+ PurpleSquerkle

--My website--

Maxaxle
Elite Gamer
Elite Gamer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

(omg, I just remembered the Homestar Runner quote Rofl Rofl Rofl)
Yes, indeed; Why isn't he doing all of the work for us!???
FREE PIZZA TOMORROW

This forum is dead and I have moved on to another forum with everyone else.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egoboo Forum Forum Index -> -> Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: