Egoboo Forum

The Legend of Egoboo Sporks of Yore
Spawn File Members Meaning?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egoboo Forum Forum Index -> -> Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jay_pee_em
Grub Bug
Grub Bug

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Spawn File Members Meaning? If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I'm adding new objects to some modules, and i was wondering what each column in the spawn file means. I understand many of them, but some i'm not sure about:

Name: does this matter? name is usually set in naming.txt, no?
Slot: the slot the object is defined by so it knows which object to spawn
Xpos, Ypos, Zpos: self-explanatory
Dir: either direction object is facing or if held by character, where (r hand, l hand, inventory).
Mon: amount of money held
Skn: ?
Pas: which passage is this object associated with?
con: ?
Lvl: The starting level of the character?
Stt: display or hide stats
Gho: ?
Team: which team does the object start on.

I guess i'm most confused about Name, Skn, Con, and Gho, but i'm not 100% sure about Pas and Lvl either.
bgbirdsey
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

You are correct on all of the ones you listed

Skn = which skin the character uses. Each one can have up to 4 different "outfits" or skins to choose from

con = the "content" of the character's AI. This is just a parameter that you pass to the character's script. It can be interpreted as anything, but a typical example would be to choose whether the "mephit" you are spawning is a moss mephit, a fire mephit, ...

Gho = is the character a ghost? this is really obsolete and should not really be used. For backward compatability, we can't just remove this.
PurpleSquerkle
Supreme Cookiemancer
Supreme Cookiemancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Bad bgbirdsey. You didn't give out any cookies.

WELCOME!
Have a cookie! Cookie!

Bad me. You didn't help.
Yeah, but none is needed at this point.

+ PurpleSquerkle

--My website--
Latest update= 7/15/08; Three new midi loops.

{new Squerkle coming as soon as I stop being lazy}
penguinflyer2222
The Dark One
The Dark One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Welcome and have a light bulb! Idea
I have started giving them out if you haven't noticed.
An Egoboo minideveloper
woodmouse
Skinner
Skinner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Welcome, jay_pee_em! Very Happy
Elite Gamer
Elite Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Hey, newbie! Very Happy
FREE PIZZA TOMORROW

This forum is dead and I have moved on to another forum with everyone else.
penguinflyer2222
The Dark One
The Dark One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Maxaxle wrote:
Hey, newbie! Very Happy

Hey! Shame on you.
An Egoboo minideveloper
Agent of Dread
lolwut?? (Moderator)
lolwut?? (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Leave him.
Last time he said n00b and (hopefully Rolling Eyes ) regretted it.
Newbie is fine. >_>
Clonkinator
Master Frying Pen (Moderator)
Master Frying Pen (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, jay_pee_em. Yeah, as bgbirdsey said, that's what the stuff does. However, I guess a better example for "con" are chests and cobols. Chests use it to find out whether they contain money, items, or both, and cobols use it to find out at which range to attack. Well, yes, it's a parameter given to the object's script; the way it is used depends on the object.
Chainsaw
Lumberjack
Lumberjack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

No one explained names yet, so I will.

An item's name can be set both in a naming.txt file, and in a modules spawn.txt.
The module's naming is there for when you want to give a name directly and only to the object you spawn, and not the entire object class.

Or, in other words: the naming.txt adds the name to all the objects of that class, while spawn.txt can be used to name each individually, this is good for NPCs, for example.

Also, some objects don't use names, these are usually monsters and non-magical items.

And of course, welcome. Very Happy
Zefz
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Remember the skin should be set between 0 and 4. 0 being armor level 1 and 3 being armor level 4. Setting this value to 4 makes the object spawn a random skin.[/b]

"The pen is mightier than the sword- IF it is sharpened, dipped in poison and thrown really really hard at your target. But seriously, you are better off with a sword."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Maxaxle
Elite Gamer
Elite Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

penguinflyer2222 wrote:
Maxaxle wrote:
Hey, newbie! Very Happy

Hey! Shame on you.

It was like saying, "Hi, new guy!", not "Hi, you *****************!"
Rolling Eyes
FREE PIZZA TOMORROW

This forum is dead and I have moved on to another forum with everyone else.
Chainsaw
Lumberjack
Lumberjack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Zefz wrote:
Remember the skin should be set between 0 and 4. 0 being armor level 1 and 3 being armor level 4. Setting this value to 4 makes the object spawn a random skin.[/b]

Really? Why do the Bishopia NPCs and bodies have a their skin randomised in the script and not in spawn then?
woodmouse
Skinner
Skinner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I think it's simpler. Because, then they will random when if you copy them to other module. But I can't be sure what Zefz thought...
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

No it was because I had not learned about this way to randomize skins before I made the script Razz

Anyways Bishopia guards do actually not have randomized skins. They are predefined (Ninja guards at the Rogue Guild and other two guard skins anywhere else).

Dead bodies uses the scripting solution, which is slightly less optimized.

"The pen is mightier than the sword- IF it is sharpened, dipped in poison and thrown really really hard at your target. But seriously, you are better off with a sword."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egoboo Forum Forum Index -> -> Development All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: