Egoboo Forum

The Legend of Egoboo Sporks of Yore
"Refrigerator Cleaning"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egoboo Forum Forum Index -> -> Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleSquerkle
Supreme Cookiemancer
Supreme Cookiemancer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: "Refrigerator Cleaning" If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yes, this is probably the second-most-pointless topic in the entire forums (after the SPAM one). Still, I thought it might be interesting for people to read about.

Anyway. The metaphor of cleaning out a refrigerator is often applied to computer data and other such things. But that's because it's so fitting. You find a lot of horrible trash that gives you nightmares. And you also find some quality things you'd forgotten about, but at this point it's too late for it to be of any use.

On my computer, I had no less than four versions of Egoboo.
This is because I was too lazy to find everything I was working on and remove it. So I just installed another version. And kept installing new versions. But notice my use of the past tense!
I have now gone through everything and saved only my own work. Most of it is useless silly stuff, but I saved it anyway, just 'cause.
Some interesting facts about this:

Quote:
-There were probably about ten (or more) different Hobgoblins floating around. I didn't save all of them, though. Besides, some were duplicates.

-I found the Tiger Fist. At some point I'll probably clean it up and re-release it, but right now there's no class to use it, so what's the point?

-I thought the stuff was pretty old, but -- and it might just be perspective -- it actually isn't that old at all. I apparently started working on stuff in November '06 (found this out from the old forums). I haven't been able to find out how long I've been playing the game, and don't really know how I would, since back then I actually deleted old versions of the game. I think it was just in that same year, though. I feel so "young"! Sad

-My oldest publicly released stuff (two lame characters named "Squerk" and "Blerff") was mysteriously absent. No worries, though; I think it's still on my website. And they're in the game in spirit (anything more would scare me).

Now, I'm too lazy to upload a screenshot right now, but I'll just tell you what my folder looks like:

Quote:
-Character Archive I
---(contains some characters I saved)
-New Classes
---(this should contain finished or almost-finished classes, but it's sort of messy)
-Various Images
---(just what it sounds like: textures, avatar pictures, screenshots, icons, etc.)
-Zipped stuff
---Zipped folders; where things go before I upload them
-Unsorted
---(stuff I couldn't find a home for; some of it isn't actually mine)

...And there's one more folder, called "Really Old Junk." This is the interesting one, and here's the self-explanatory names of the folders it contains:

Quote:
-Really old Hobgoblin
-Not-quite-as-old Hobgoblin
-Old TazerTranch
-Old FlameSpewer
-Obsolete Bubble mine
-Failure at making a Jester (part I)
-Failure at making a Jester (part II)
-Really old barely-worked-on Martial Artist
-For some reason I have two Martial Artists
-Djinni skin
-Cobol of indefinite age

...So that's it. Now, my work should be much more efficient, because I can easily get to the important stuff, and the stuff I don't need is put away where I don't have to look at it! Razz

Any questions? Ask away!

+ PurpleSquerkle

--My website--
Latest update= 7/15/08; Three new midi loops.

{new Squerkle coming as soon as I stop being lazy}
Zefz
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Sounds like some material that could be used in the DEV package? Smile

New skins are always great and usable.

You are not the only one btw. I also have two or three versions of egoboo (one development version, one stable and the next release in progress).

Tons of new Egoboo material is floating around my desktop ^^

"The pen is mightier than the sword- IF it is sharpened, dipped in poison and thrown really really hard at your target. But seriously, you are better off with a sword."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PurpleSquerkle
Supreme Cookiemancer
Supreme Cookiemancer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Sure, new skins are usable, but only if they're good ones.

That's the other thing I discovered. Every single one of my skills has vastly improved since then.

Anyway, now I plan on sticking with two versions: One stable one (mostly just for actually playing the game), and whatever the latest in-development DevPack is.
Right now, though, I don't think I have either one, so I'd better get to downloading!
Then to wrap up (even though I haven't actually started them) the new potions! Woohoo!

+ PurpleSquerkle

--My website--

woodmouse
Skinner
Skinner

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

@Zefz: Do you plan to add stuff I have made to the next DEV pack?
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Some of it yes. I try to collect stuff people make around the forums and put them together. If stuff is added into the game, I remove them from the DEV package.

"The pen is mightier than the sword- IF it is sharpened, dipped in poison and thrown really really hard at your target. But seriously, you are better off with a sword."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
penguinflyer5234
Penguin King

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Bah, I have 5 versions of Egoboo, I really need to clean that up...
Versions:

Zefz
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

2.6.0 and 2.7.5 aren't needed methinks Razz Remember to copy any savegames or work.

woodmouse
Skinner
Skinner

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I hav these versions on my computer:

2.4.4b
2.6.1b
lolwut?? (Moderator)
lolwut?? (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

woodmouse
Skinner
Skinner

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

What 0.0?
lolwut?? (Moderator)
lolwut?? (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

No, it's meant to be a face of amazement.
woodmouse
Skinner
Skinner

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Oh... It was like that.
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Shocked

I think you can remove many of them Razz

woodmouse
Skinner
Skinner

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

NO I CAN'T! I have many things I have edited in 2.2.2... 2.2.4... I have never actually played it, because the menus were so... small. 2.4.4 is great, and the later... I use 2.6.1b now...
Supreme Cookiemancer
Supreme Cookiemancer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

woodmouse wrote:
NO I CAN'T! I have many things I have edited in 2.2.2... 2.2.4... I have never actually played it, because the menus were so... small. 2.4.4 is great, and the later... I use 2.6.1b now...

Then take them out, like I did.
Trust me, it's worth your time.
It was such a pain trying to locate everything before.

+ PurpleSquerkle

--My website--

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egoboo Forum Forum Index -> -> Development All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: