Egoboo Forum

The Legend of Egoboo Sporks of Yore
In-game menu working
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egoboo Forum Forum Index -> -> Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodmouse
Skinner
Skinner

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I would like it so when you pause the game, the background would be the level you are playing shown on Egomap. So there would be the level and every thing in it around the player. So the other things in "objects" folder would be just green boxes like the starting point, just the player would be normal. Do you understand what I mean?
Lumberjack
Lumberjack

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I think it should just freeze the game when you're in the menu.
woodmouse
Skinner
Skinner

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

That would be too... plain, I tsink...
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:

The feel of Egoboo is like an arcade RPG, so nothing should ever really freeze. Wink

However, the real question is what will happen during network play and what do you want to happen when you pull up an inventory window?

For a single-player game, it would be convenient for the game to pause every time you do something with your inventory or whatever, but this would be very annoying if you were playing over the network. Your computer would freeze every time Johnny decided to check his inventory or go to the bathroom!

ANOTHER TOPIC

What kind of in-game menus do you want? I am working on a simple inventory window. The 'help menus' will probably be converted to this method, too. There will probably be a simple status window that will show game and network performance. There could be a chat window.
Clonkinator
Master Frying Pen (Moderator)
Master Frying Pen (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:

I just have two words to say here: I agree .
woodmouse
Skinner
Skinner

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

That's one emoction. Laughing
Lumberjack
Lumberjack

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

bgbirdsey wrote:

For a single-player game, it would be convenient for the game to pause every time you do something with your inventory or whatever, but this would be very annoying if you were playing over the network.

Well, then make it freeze the game only in single player.
Other games (Diablo, Baldur's gate, etc.) Only freeze the game at single player, while remaining active at multiplayer .

Last edited by Chainsaw on Fri May 23, 2008 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
woodmouse
Skinner
Skinner

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I agree That would be nice.
The Dark One
The Dark One

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

If anything, I would like a option to keep the non freezing, even in single player. There's already a pause button.

Preview
Story: Shredded
Chapters planned: None
Scapped
Motivation: 0%
bgbirdsey
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Diablo, Baldar's gate, etc. are variations on real-time strategy (rts). Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) is in real-time until you enter combat, then it kind-of pauses between moves. Also, you can always pause the action.

Since there is already a pause button in Egoboo, is the idea of pausing the game in the menus to make Egoboo more like a rts game?
penguinflyer5234
Penguin King

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

bgbirdsey, do you know if the menu works when it is paused?

bgbirdsey
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

It should. The pause sytem just turns off the game updates. The camera control and the inputs still work.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egoboo Forum Forum Index -> -> Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: