Egoboo Forum

The Legend of Egoboo Sporks of Yore
Forum Etiquette

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egoboo Forum Forum Index -> -> Welcome!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgbirdsey
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Forum Etiquette If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I have been around this game and other forums for a long time. I have seen good times and bad times... When things are going well, you don't really notice how good things are, but when they start going bad, people begin leaving the project like rats fleeing a sinking ship! Razz

I'm bringing this up now, because several people have been harshly criticized and harassed for bringing new ideas to the community. I would personally like to apologize to woodmouse, dennis3, and PurpleSquerkle on behalf of the community. You guys deserve to hear people say "good job" for your efforts! Smile

As far as I am concerned, the forums should be a place that people like to spend time. We should try to build a community spirit for Egoboo-lovers. Wink People should rush to bring their talents, works of art, story ideas, models, modules, and whatever Egoboo-related things that they can create.

Over the years, I have noticed have been a couple of behaviors that killed the good times and made people leave the project.

A while ago, someone made an awesome dragon model. Lots of people loved it, but one of the forum admins (who doesn't really hang around here anymore) basically told the guy that he was wasting his time dragons were too advanced for the level of the game. That guy left to project and the model was lost....

I'm sure the admin had some kind of reason for saying that, but it just ended up hurting the community and we lost a modeler!!! That is sad. Sad

FORUM RULE: No one (not even a moderator) can tell someone they aren't allowed to work on something.

It is the basic principle of an open source project that anyone can try to contribute anything. The contribution may not be accepted in the end, but everyone should want to bring their ideas here.

At some point in the past, there was someone (who I have not seen around since this board started) who was always negative toward everyone's work, but never made anything himself. He kept promising to work on various projects but never came through.

That kind of thing is just annoying, and tends to cause "flame wars" between forum members. It would certainly drive people away.

FORUM RULE: Don't be a jerk.

If people don't want to come to the forum because you ticked them off, we have all lost something. And maybe the wrong person left the forum. Shocked

PS this may be a good sticky? At least we could ask someone to take a look at it if they are being a bit nasty?

Last edited by bgbirdsey on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent of Dread
lolwut?? (Moderator)
lolwut?? (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Agreed. But I'm moving it to the welcome section, this isn't exactly the place.
hiroy
The Dark One
The Dark One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Wow... Memories just flashed before my very eyes. I remember the whole dragon incident so well, though I think it was not directly at the modeler.... Then agian, my memory is hazy.

The lesson is good here though...

Preview
Story: Shredded
Chapters planned: None
Scapped
Motivation: 0%
PurpleSquerkle
Supreme Cookiemancer
Supreme Cookiemancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum Etiquette If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

bgbirdsey wrote:

I would personally like to woodmouse, dennis3, and PurpleSquerkle on behalf of the community.

Well thanks!
...except I think you forgot the verb. You would like to... what? Kill us? I hope not! Razz
Laughing

I remember the dragon thing, too!
That was a looonnnng time ago. I think at that point I was a hovering ghost person. Just played the game, and wasn't a member of the forums.
That was during the Age of Zippy, right?

Anyway, awesome thread. I totally agree.

+ PurpleSquerkle

--My website--
Latest update= 7/15/08; Three new midi loops.

{new Squerkle coming as soon as I stop being lazy}
Clonkinator
Master Frying Pen (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree on this stuff - good idea to bring this up, birdsey! Smile
I actually think that adding this to the actual rules might be a good idea, too, sinc I think causing flame wars through stuff like that surely is worth quite a lot of PP as it pisses of the other members...
Maxaxle
Elite Gamer
Elite Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Shocked Oh wow, how long has this been here? The last rules I saw were the *official* fourm rules...
0_o ...
FREE PIZZA TOMORROW

This forum is dead and I have moved on to another forum with everyone else.
Clonkinator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Maxaxle wrote:
Shocked Oh wow, how long has this been here? The last rules I saw were the *official* fourm rules...
0_o ...

Well, as you can see when looking on the dates, it's been around for almost two months now.
PurpleSquerkle
Supreme Cookiemancer
Supreme Cookiemancer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum Etiquette If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

PurpleSquerkle wrote:
bgbirdsey wrote:

I would personally like to woodmouse, dennis3, and PurpleSquerkle on behalf of the community.

Well thanks!
...except I think you forgot the verb. You would like to... what? Kill us? I hope not! Razz
Laughing

*reads edited post for the first time*
Wait a minute? Apologize? Wasn't expecting that one...
What did you (or whoever) do?

Oh, yes, but Denis.
*sniff*
We're sorry Denis! Really! Crying or Very sad

...Anyhow, yes. This has been here for a really, really long time.

+ PurpleSquerkle

--My website--

Maxaxle
Elite Gamer
Elite Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Well, better late than never Rolling Eyes
FREE PIZZA TOMORROW

This forum is dead and I have moved on to another forum with everyone else.
PurpleSquerkle
Supreme Cookiemancer
Supreme Cookiemancer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

It's not late, is it?
I mean, it's not like he left.

+ PurpleSquerkle

--My website--

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egoboo Forum Forum Index -> -> Welcome! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: