Egoboo Forum

The Legend of Egoboo Sporks of Yore
Different Genders in Egoboo
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egoboo Forum Forum Index -> -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should different genders be used?
Yes
68%
 68%  [ 11 ]
No
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 16

Maxaxle
Elite Gamer
Elite Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Different Genders in Egoboo If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

There has been some discussion about whether there should be gender options, or simply have the Egoboo characters stay with one gender.
FREE PIZZA TOMORROW

This forum is dead and I have moved on to another forum with everyone else.
Agent of Dread
lolwut?? (Moderator)
lolwut?? (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

No. Genders are fine.
Clonkinator
Master Frying Pen (Moderator)
Master Frying Pen (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Different genders would be nice, just for variation on the look (but there should be some noticeable variation then). However, maybe not for all classes.
I'd sure like to see a female adventurer, elf or witch as an example, while I would not like a female soldier.
Maxaxle
Elite Gamer
Elite Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Nah, the female Soldier wouldn't be too bad..
FREE PIZZA TOMORROW

bgbirdsey
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I am all about removing arbitrary limits of all types, like the gender of characters.

I am all about removing classes and just making everything skill based. Wink
Maxaxle
Elite Gamer
Elite Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Nah, I think characters should specialize instead of being incredible at everything. Sort of like a Rogue can't be the strongest character or Paladin the smartest. MAYBE, though, just MAYBE we could create a Beginner character, like in Maplestory-you start out a Beginner and level up to level 10 (totally unrealistic in Egoboo talk, but easy in MapleStory), when you can get any Job, or class. Level 8 for magician, though. Once you get a really high level, though, you get one of two sub-class choices. In other words:
Beginner>Class/Job>Sub-class/Sub-job

Maplestory website:
www.mapleglobal.com
FREE PIZZA TOMORROW

Agent of Dread
lolwut?? (Moderator)
lolwut?? (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I like having certain classes only able to get certain skills. Say only Rogue could get disarming traps.
bgbirdsey
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Whether you want to specialize or to dilute your power is up to the player. But, your choices of abilities will be limited to less than a certain number at each level.

As an example, if you are lvl 2, you could choose 2 from any of the following:

- increased strength
    - increased wisdom
    - increased intelligence
    - increased dexterity
    - bonus to use ranged
    - bonus to use edged
    - bonus to cast arcane
    - bonus to cast holy
    - etc. ...

It would be smart to choose:

- increased strength + bonus to use edged = swordsman
    - increased dexterity + bonus to use ranged = bowman

It would be less smart (at least be less min/max) to choose

- increased strength + bonus to cast arcane = typical fighter/caster multiclass
    - bonus to cast arcane + bonus to cast holy = lots of trouble since these are "opposites"

This way, EACH PLAYER, can choose to specialize (which will always be more beneficial) or to not specialize, which they might want to do to make their Egoboo persona like some literary figure, or just because they think it is neat.

In fact, YOU would have the ability to store up points 'till level 8, and then specialize in wizardry, and then store up points until some other level and then spend points to create a Maplestory-like subclass just for you!!!! Clap

And I could do whatever I want. Twisted Evil
Maxaxle
Elite Gamer
Elite Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Ehm...no, I wasn't recommending that type of thing... Sad ,though those are pretty good ideas. I like the part about the fighter/arcane spellcaster multiclass... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
FREE PIZZA TOMORROW

PurpleSquerkle
Supreme Cookiemancer
Supreme Cookiemancer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I think customizable skills are good, but I like our whole class system we have going here; that should just be the starting attributes of your character, like in some Final Fantasy games (I'm thinking here of II mostly); your character isn't bound to a certain set of skills, but they still are naturally better at some things and start with specific stats (Guy is really strong and not so good with magic, and Maria is good with magic and not so strong, but that doesn't mean that you couldn't develop them differently if you wanted to).
I just think it's such a waste to throw away all the variation in classes that we have now, and plus it's what I spend all my time working on, so yeah...
Custom skills and everything is cool, just don't get rid of our current class system!

Oh, and on the original topic, I think different genders is good, but shouldn't be a big priority right now.
At least some of them would require some new models, and we don't really have a lot of good modelers with lots of time on their hands right now...

+ PurpleSquerkle

--My website--
Latest update= 7/15/08; Three new midi loops.

{new Squerkle coming as soon as I stop being lazy}
Agent of Dread
lolwut?? (Moderator)
lolwut?? (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Well Trickle seems keen and active. He has already posted twice on his first day stating that he wants to do something.
hiroy
The Dark One
The Dark One

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I like the idea for more customization, but I still like the class system. I would rather have each class with their own built abilities and skills they can learn, and a wide variety of "shared skills" anyone can learn. And with the class's skills combined with shared skills, you can unlock super special secret skills that can be exclusive to the class.

So yeah... I'm more of an experiment and discovery person with it comes down to skill systems. I'm not really a fan of the straightforward methods like Oblivion and whatnot.
Zefz
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yeah a lot of work has gone into the current starters. I rather see we did not remove them or replace them with a single generic class. Many starters are high quality, a lot of gameplay and characteristic for Egoboo. I much rather see players learn new skills by leveling up and customizing later.

Example Soldier:
Improved Strength - Cost 1 point
Improved Dexterity - Cost 1 point
Improved Life - Cost 1 point
Use Arcane Magic - Cost 3 points
Disarm Traps - Cost 2 points
Backstab - Cost 2 point
Swordfighting - Cost 1 point

Example Rogue:
Improved Strength - Cost 2 points
Disarm Traps - Cost 1 points
Backstab - Cost 1 point
Swordfighting - Cost 2 points

"The pen is mightier than the sword- IF it is sharpened, dipped in poison and thrown really really hard at your target. But seriously, you are better off with a sword."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Chainsaw
Lumberjack
Lumberjack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Zefz wrote:
Yeah a lot of work has gone into the current starters. I rather see we did not remove them or replace them with a single generic class. Many starters are high quality, a lot of gameplay and characteristic for Egoboo. I much rather see players learn new skills by leveling up and customizing later.

Example Soldier:
Improved Strength - Cost 1 point
Disarm Traps - Cost 2 points
Backstab - Cost 2 point
Swordfighting - Cost 1 point

Example Rogue:
Improved Strength - Cost 2 points
Disarm Traps - Cost 1 points
Backstab - Cost 1 point
Swordfighting - Cost 2 points

I like this idea, but i would make several things limited, for example, a paladin and a healer will never Backstab or use arcane magic, since it's part of their personality.
Each class should have a different level-up ladder, allowing specialization and new traits, but they won't stray too far away from their original concept this way.
Maxaxle
Elite Gamer
Elite Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yeah, some things should be blocked-off to certain classes, but my Inventor's leveling-up points would be like this:
Improved Strength: cost 3 points
Improved Dexterity: cost 1 point
Improved Life: cost 2 points
Use Arcane Magic: cost 1 point (cuz he's so smart Mr. Green )
Disarm Traps: cost 1 point (cuz he's so smart...again... Mr. Green )
Backstab: cost 2 points
Swordfighting: cost 1 point (he is pretty good at fencing)
FREE PIZZA TOMORROW

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egoboo Forum Forum Index -> -> Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: