Egoboo Forum

The Legend of Egoboo Sporks of Yore
Big source update - update 2008-06-19
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egoboo Forum Forum Index -> -> Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgbirdsey
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Big source update - update 2008-06-19 If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

---- Update ---- 2008-07-20

- changed the way that collisions are handled. Now, each pair of interacting objects is recorded in a list, and then the physics is calculated using this list. There is *no way* that an interaction will be counted twice, and it is possible to interact with very big objects. The next thing will be to make a multi-resolution (maybe octree) structure to keep track of all the objects and maybe the mesh tiles.

-I keep trying to make the system compatible with network play, and keep finding problems. One big one is that the server needs to be able to spawn particles, characters and enchants on a the clients. The general term for this is a Remote Procedure Call (RPC). I have written some code to do this for characters, but there are some strange bugs, like all items spawn facing "north"...

---- Update ---- 2008-06-19

Here is the changelog for the latest SVN updates

- fixed some of the calculations for the collision volumes so that they conform more closely to the shape of the object. I added some more code so that this can be even more refined

- created a "profile" structure that keeps all of the information for a given game object in one data structure. It removes some of the confusion between the indices for the Mad, Cap, and other profile-like datastructures. Found at least 2 errors that would never have been noticed othersise! Smile I introduced some C/C++ hybrid code, so that you can compile the C code under C++ to make sure that you are not using a variable of type CAP_REF to index an element of MadList[] (for instance). The code will evolve to this template code when it is upgraded to c++.

- Added AStar pathfinding. It is apparently working, but the only character which uses FindPath is Zombor at the moment. We need to make waypoints automatically update using AStar every so often, so a timer for this will have to be introduced. Doing it every frame for every character would be too expensive. My code for this is very junky. Sad

---- Update ---- 2008-06-05

Particle display is fixed, but some particles are off. In the Adventurer starter, the splash particle is a flame???

---- Update ---- 2008-06-04

The chat system is "working". You can enter text and if the network was on, it will send the message to all the connected computers.

Soon, this will also allow you to enter commands like \DevMode 0 to turn DevMode off, etc. you would also be able to a different game that is playing on your system (if you have more than one running), put the camera in "explore mode" so that you can move the camera around the entire mesh, etc.

I think that I will give you access to the scripting language, though there will be no indents and no conditional statements.

This will not be available in the "release" version of the code.

---- Update ---- 2008-06-03

Changed the way that the "game", "server", and "client" data are initialized so that it is easier to implement the menus, so that game data gets properly initialized are when leaving and starting modules (this caused a lot of bugs).

There are still some problems with particles not properly showing up even though they spawned, and some other major bugs.

I am squashing bugs!

---- Update ---- 2008-06-02

I finally got the source in a half-way decent state.

It is currently very buggy, but that is all related to not passing the right pointers to some functions. GRRRRR!

You should be able to check out the new menus, etc, and give feedback about those. Also, it would be good to know whether this has affected anyone's graphics performance.

IF it crashes with some weird error, it is likely that I did not make the new object loading system backward compatible, but I am pretty sure that I did!

Some of the big bugs.

- no interaction with the mesh
    - very odd script behavior
    - particles not displaying

I am quite mentally exhausted, but I might be able to clean up the majority of these bugs by tomorrow and turn back on the collisions. At that point it should be as playable as the new stable version.

Last edited by bgbirdsey on Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:55 pm; edited 5 times in total
PurpleSquerkle
Supreme Cookiemancer
Supreme Cookiemancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Really?!
Cool.
Will particle rotation and skills and whatnot finally work?

+ PurpleSquerkle

--My website--
Latest update= 7/15/08; Three new midi loops.

{new Squerkle coming as soon as I stop being lazy}
Zefz
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yes, this is the development version (skills, particles, invisibillity, better textures, hotseat and whatnot).

Anyways I'm doing my best to get it to build so I can give some feedback here. But I am still getting 14 linker errors when compiling.

"The pen is mightier than the sword- IF it is sharpened, dipped in poison and thrown really really hard at your target. But seriously, you are better off with a sword."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Chainsaw
Lumberjack
Lumberjack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Zefz wrote:
Yes, this is the development version (skills, particles, invisibility, better textures, hotseat and whatnot).

Speaking of invisibility, Are Invisible chests actually invisible now? Because I came up with an easy way to have Invisible chests, and used it already.
Zefz
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yeah black textures right?

Well that way doesnt make them visible for people casting Truesight spell or Zombor with See Invisible abillity.

"The pen is mightier than the sword- IF it is sharpened, dipped in poison and thrown really really hard at your target. But seriously, you are better off with a sword."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bgbirdsey
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

There are some new source files, so you have to make sure to add them to the project. I generally don't mess with the vs9 files! Smile
Zefz
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Ah silly me! I knew that. Guess that happens when you are doing stuff with the code 2:30 AM xD

It builds now, but it seems one function gives a error, having to few arguments to call. It is nfhost_stopThreads(); which should have a NFileState pointer. I simply uncommented it.

Chainsaw
Lumberjack
Lumberjack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Zefz wrote:
Yeah black textures right?

Well that way doesnt make them visible for people casting Truesight spell or Zombor with See Invisible abillity.

No, actually.
I set the alpha and light blending to 0 (Invisible), and made the script set them to 128 (Semi-transparent, like it is now) when you open the chest, so the player can't tell what it is unless they open it.

Not sure of how to make them compatible with spells or abilities, but I might think of something.
Zefz
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

We could just wait until 2.7.x becomes stable?

bgbirdsey
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure of how to make them compatible with spells or abilities, but I might think of something.

Right now, there is only one check for "too dark to see." Maybe that needs to depend on a character's light sensitivity?
Chainsaw
Lumberjack
Lumberjack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I see now that it works anyway, I didn't have to change anything.
Zombor can see the chest as semi trasperant before he even touches it, while other classes can only see it once they open it. (2.6.3b)
woodmouse
Skinner
Skinner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Ooooh... Zombor can see invisible? Smile
Supreme Cookiemancer
Supreme Cookiemancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yes, at a certain level.

Or I don't think he always has that ability, anyway.

+ PurpleSquerkle

--My website--

bgbirdsey
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

updated. check the 1st post.
PurpleSquerkle
Supreme Cookiemancer
Supreme Cookiemancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Hooray for bugsquashing!
I know how painful that is, especially when you can't figure out what's causing them...
It must be harder when working with something lower-level (than what is essentially a versatile scripting language, which is what I'm used to).

+ PurpleSquerkle

--My website--

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egoboo Forum Forum Index -> -> Development All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: